Wednesday, October 17, 2007

So a funny thing happened...

...to me on Saturday night. But first I must set the stage.

Suzy's Dad was in Boston for the week so he came to spend Saturday night and Sunday with us. I also had a former mission companion, who is at Cornell doing his PhD, in town for a conference. We met Suzy's dad at a a small farmer's market in town, where we bought the most delicious cinnamon donuts in the world. Suzy was going to ride back with her Dad and pick up some pizza, while I picked up my friend on campus and met them at home. I picked up my friend and we were having a good time reminiscing about the good ol' days, and catching up. Wanting to show off the great history of Sunderland I drove home a different way than normal to show him our wonderful old homes here. I was oblivious that doing so would through me off a little (you'll see what I mean in a sec).

So I pull into the parking lot from a different direction, and, amazed at my good fortune for a good parking spot, proceed to park the car. Though I thought it odd that the parking spot did not look the same as it normally did, I ignored it too engrossed in conversation. We proceeded into the apartment building and up the stairs, as we passed the second floor doors, I noticed that they too looked different and I thought how interesting that both downstairs neighbors would change their doors on the same day. Again I ignored this and kept going up. I got to the top of the stairs and began getting my keys out of my pocket. While doing so I looked down and noticed that our neighbor had also changed and put out a welcome mat that seemed to have been tossed half way in front of our door.

I began pushing it aside with my foot as inserted my key into the door. I turned the key and nothing happened. I began to panic thinking to myself, "I'm locked out of my apartment, what am I going to do now?" I try the key again and my panic grows larger. Then I happen to look to my right at the apartment number, and it was ... wrong. Then it hit me, I was in the wrong stairwell. My heart sunk, and I felt so embarrassed as I tried to explain this to my friend. Then suddenly the door, which I had just been futilely trying to unlock moments before, opens, and my embarrassment grew to astronomical heights. A guy peers out wondering what was up.

I look up to him, we were halfway down the stairs, and I tell him I accidentally went into the wrong stairwell and apologize. He laughs, and in a kind attempt to assuage my embarrassment tells me that he has done the exact same thing before. As we head back down the stairs to the right part of the building, I think to myself that the difference between me going to the wrong door and him doing it was that I was sober, whereas he probably was not.

Anyway, that is my embarrassing story for the year. I hope that y'all enjoyed it.

Things are going well here for us. I have finals for two of my classes next week, so this week and early next week I will be busy cramming as much Accounting and Economics into my head as possible. The picture is a corn maze cleverly disguised as a corn field. It was taken from the town cemetary, and off in the distance you can see the church steeple of the town church.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

I did that when we lived in Wymount, but nobody but me was there to witness it. Oh, and I love that picture. It reminds me of my hometown. So quaint!

Ben said...

Casey, I don't know what to say. That is hilarious. Recently we went to a party at the apartment of some friends in my program. I wasn't sure which apartment was theirs so I listened at the doors of two apartments right across from each other. I was sure that I heard my friends laughing and talking at one door, so I knocked. The lady opened the door after her dogs barked loudly for a while, and she just pointed to the opposite door and smiled. We apologized profusely as her dogs continued to bark. When my friend opened the door she asked if we had knocked on the wrong door and then laughed at us.
That was a really long comment to say I kinda know what you are talking about. However, it wasn't my own apartment that I misplaced. :)