Sunday, November 25, 2007

Wonderful Thanksgiving Week

I am sitting here typing this wishing that this week could continue a few more days. But, alas, I must return to school tomorrow.

We had a great Thanksgiving holiday. First I would like to announce that we have received our first snow of the season on Tuesday. It was an interesting day. The night before I checked the forecast and it said nothing of any expected snow. I woke up early at 5:30 am to study for a mid-term, and no snow. But by the time I left the apartment at 8:45 am there was a solid 2 inches of snow on the ground and more was coming every minute. I enjoyed the snowing part, I think watching it snow is very calming, something I definitely needed before the test.Suzy and I prepared a very nice Thanksgiving Day spread, much more than two people can eat. Before we got started on the big feasting I made some cinnamon rolls, which were oh so very good (quite possibly the best food ever). Since neither of us is a huge fan of turkey and we surely did not want to be eating turkey for the next week, we made a delicious spiral cut ham, which we are still enjoying. For desert Suzy made creme brulee, which was quite good. She did a great job making in for the first time.Oh, how I love cinnamon rolls. Seeing this picture makes me hungry for more...

On Friday, we braved the shopping scene, traveling over the Berkshire Mountains to a factory outlet mall. We found some good deals on stuff for our Christmas presents for each other. It was a fun day but quite cold. Then Friday nigh I sat on the couch with the grainy video on my laptop watching BYU beat #6 ranked Louisville in basketball (while simultaneously keeping track of the score of the Jazz game online), both of my teams won and I was very happy and thought it a good omen for the rest of the weekend.

Yesterday, we had our Elder's Quorum Turkey Bowl football game that all of six people showed up for. We persevered through temperatures in the low 30's and played for about 90 minutes. It was good to actually do some exercising that was actually fun and enjoyable for a change. Then, Suzy got to stay home and watch most of the BYU-Utah game while I went and helped a family in our ward move in. Luckily I made it back for the last half of the 4th quarter, the only really exciting part of the game. I must admit that after Utah scored to go up by one and BYU was facing 4th and 18, I did not think that they could pull it off again. But the good karma that I gained by sacrificing watching the game to give service came through, BYU scored and won the game. I am sure that I was very close to having a very serious medical condition because of the stress of those last few minutes. After that game I decided I would not, could not, watch the whole of the UNC-BYU basketball game that night, so I only watched the first half.

When I woke up this morning my body definitely felt every single box that I moved on Saturday, and I still cannot move with out aching. I really hurt in places I did not know I had muscles. This morning I spoke in Sacrament meeting with the rest of the Elder's Quorum Presidency. I spoke about the importance of Home Teaching, so I guess now I have to go do mine.

Suzy and I both hope that all y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

While having Thanksgiving by ourselves was nice in that we got to create some of our own traditions, but we both missed our families and friends and realized how grateful we are for them. And how grateful we are for a loving Father in Heaven who is watching out for us here in Sunderland.

2 comments:

Brenna said...

It was quite a game, wasn't it? I just about gave up at the end as well...it was torture thinking that we would lose the game after being ahead for most of it. I'm quite impressed with all the good cooking...creme brulee, huh?

Ken's Hanger said...

(Not Ken) Sorry you couldn't join us for Thanksgiving in Tucson, but looks like you had a good day! Those cinnamon rolls look great! - Monana