Close your eyes and try to imagine this in your mind (finish reading this before you close your eyes though). Picture a man that looks and acts like Danny DeVito, now add in a little bit of the voice and mannerisms of Vizzini, the lead kidnapper. Now throw in the subject of accounting into the mix and you will get my accounting professor, who is the dopplerganger of Danny DeVito. He has been teaching accounting for 45 years, and has more energy at his age than I could ever dream of. Sitting through his class for 3 hours twice a week is quite the experience. I want to say that it is entertaining, and it certainly is, but it is more than that. We, my classmates and I, sit in the class in wonder and amazement at his energetic lectures.
It was while I was sitting through such a lecture last week when I looked around at my 34 classmates and was astounded at the number of coffee cups sitting before them. About 2/3 of the class cannot function at 9 am without a 12 oz coffee in hand. But more amazing still is that when we have our 15 minute break at 10:30, most run out to the get another cup. I am amazed at the dependence on coffee just to function normally, at 10:30 in the morning.
Now that I am done with that rant. This week has been quite nice. The weather here is perfect, nice warm days with cool nights. Last Sunday Suzy and I took a walk around town and looked at some of the old homes near our apartment. Most of the historic homes in the town have signs on them that tell you the year they were built, it seems that the town experienced a building boom around 1850, but the oldest home was built in 1756, and it is still standing and lived in. We also found this enormous tree, I mean huge...like maybe 8 ft in diameter, there was a plaque in front of it that said that it was standing when the Declaration of Independence was signed. Cool.
Yesterday Suzy and I went with a few of my classmates to help build a home for Habitat for Humanity. Suzy got a crappy job of sanding windows, while the rest of us put up scaffolding and nailed up siding and soffits of the two-story home. I went and helped Suzy for the last 2 1/2 hours or so because she had such a crappy job and had no one to talk to. I cannot say that it was really fun cause it was not, but it was nice to be able to give meaningful service to someone who was in need. The lady that the house is for was there working as well.
The pictures that I am including are of the homes in the area and other images from our walk last Sunday. First the house from 1756, second the huge tree (kinda blurry), and third a cool old farmhouse and it is all one house!
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Add 3 parts Danny DeVito and 1 part Vizzini...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I accidently posted under Roy's name, so I deleted it. Ooops! So what I was going to say was I think that old house and that big old tree are amazing. That is exactly the kind of thing that makes me think it would be so cool to live out east. All the amazing history!
That is so awesome to live amongst so much history. You could never be bored there. Fun, fun. Oh, and Casey, don't give in to "coffee pressure" :)
Post a Comment