The past year or so has been really hard for me as far as work has gone. I really enjoyed the job I had at Nature's Way and felt like my career was really on track for where I wanted it to go. After I got laid off when they cut the marketing department in half, my "career" has really gone downhill. I was able to get a job in Utah before we moved out here, but it was a little tricky as I knew I would be leaving in a few months. It was a decent job, but didn't have the prestige or pay anywhere near what I was making at Nature's Way.
Since we moved here, I spent the first 4 LONG months looking for a job with increasing discouragement as time when on. I eventually realized I would need a job doing something, and that I just couldn't wait any longer. I ended up working for a CPA helping with taxes (meaning doing a bunch of grunt work like printing, stapling, answering phones and dealing with a lady who gets stressed WAY too easily and likes to take it out on other people). It was hard to not feel like this job (and the pay) was below my skill level.
In Florida the economy is even worse than it is here, especially for temporary positions. I ended up working two and a half days over the whole summer. I was pretty sick, so I didn't mind too much. Now we are back here, I'm feeling good and I have less than 5 months to make money before the baby comes. We are very lucky that Casey school is all paid for and thanks to his assistantship, he actually gets paid a little bit. We are also very lucky that we made some money on the sale of our townhouse in Utah and that has kept us going thus far.
I had an interview about a week and a half ago for a seasonal position that I thought would be perfect for me. I was really excited about it and thought maybe, finally, my job luck had turned...however, I found out on Monday that they decided to hire someone else. I'm working with the temp agency I worked with before to hopefully find something, so we'll see how long it takes. Hopefully it will be soon! Its kind of funny to me to think about what I thought my career path would be and how much I thought I would accomplish before we had kids. It just goes to show you never quite know what life will throw at you
I didn't mean for this to be such a long post. I didn't write it to get your pity either. I just thought that sharing whats going on in life means sharing the frustrating as well as the exciting. Also, I know there are probably others out there who are struggling with similar difficulties, so its nice to know you are not alone.
We have so many good things in life and we really are very lucky. Hopefully things will turn around soon and I'll have some good news to report!

5 comments:
Bummer! What are they - NUTS? or something, to pass up getting someone as smart and valuable as you????
Oh that does suck! When we moved out here, I spent FOREVER looking for a job ... so I understand your frustration. It's especially hard when you live in the middle of nowhere. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you!!
You could always try substitute teacher :)
Suzy: It's hard to believe that the job market is so tight that you are not the obvious smart, fun, committed, professional, star employee that every employer would want! Gee. That makes the whole economic picture super bleak to me! I better tell Dennis to hang on to that stressful job of his :) and congrats on your pregnancy. I'm SO, SO glad you're feeling good again.
I totally hear your frustration and find myself in very similar circumstances! I'm glad to hear that you now have a temp job though and it helps to stay busy when you're counting down the days until the stork visits. I have been stuffing envelopes and creating labels for my temp job. Definitely not what I thought an MBA was for but some money is good, especially in California. It's hard to keep a good attitude when it is really true that you are too educated to be doing that sort of work.
I have an informal offer from Children's Hospital Los Angeles as an Executive Assistant for the Department of Anesthesiology and feel that there is a great deal of possible growth with the department. I'm excited to be in healthcare and to at least utilize that part of my education.
Good luck!
Post a Comment