Friday, September 5, 2008

Savannah, GA

After taking off from Florida we stayed in Savannah, Georgia one of my favorite cities, for three days. Most of the time we had a lot of rain coming through the city as bands from Tropical Storm Fay came through the city. Luckily, there were many breaks in the rain to walk around and enjoy the city parks. In the city of Savannah, there are 21 squares throughout the downtown area of the city. This picture is of Suzy in one of those squares.

This is one of the many beautiful churches in and around Savannah.

Just outside of Savannah is the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum, dedicated to preserving the memory of the men and women that served in the Eighth Air Force during WWII. At this really cool museum, they had a B-17 waist gunner simulation where you got to shoot down German FW-190's. Suzy did really good.

This is the both of us outside the Historic Mansion that we visited in Savannah.

Just outside of the city is Fort Pulaski, a Civil War battle site. It was a really cool fort complete with huge brick walls and a moat around the fort. Behind the fort was these series of underground storage.

The drawbridge over one of the moats into the fort.

Suzy in the powder room. This room was nearly blown up during the Civil War battle, when the Union artillery landed a shell just outside of the room, prompting the Rebels to quickly surrender.

This is the wall that suffered the most of the shelling during the battle. When the fort was rebuilt they left a lot of the shell marks in it, and some of the holes still have the Union cannon balls stuck in them.


4 comments:

Cathryn said...

I'm so glad you got to see Savannah. The houses and the squares make for a great place to just walk around and take in the history.

Ashley said...

Suzy, I love your scared face in the powder room.

Warrior Princesa said...

you guys are so amazingly beautiful!!

Melissa said...

I love Savannah. And I love Fort Pulaski. In fact, I think I have posed in the same places you did 10years ago!