Friday, October 3, 2008

Yankee Soil in Charleston

So on our way home to Amherst, we stopped for a day in Charleston, South Carolina. We both really enjoyed the beauty of this city. We decided to visit two old historic mansions in the city. One has purposely not been restored. The other one had been restored very nicely. Most of the old homes in the city have beautiful gardens in front of them.





One of the really popular things in the old days in Charleston was to have these "benches" on your porches. They are really fun, they rock side to side and bounce up and down. Though they seem to bend A LOT and there is always this thought in the back of your mind that it might break.



One of the biggest things to see in Charleston is Fort Sumter. It is all by itself way out in the middle of the bay. It was a 30 minute ferry ride out the Fort, then we had an hour to explore before we had to get back on the boat and go back to the mainland. One of the really interesting things that I learned about Fort Sumter is that the whole island was man-made from rock and earth shipped down to South Carolina from . . . New England. Therefore when the South attacked the Fort to start the Civil War, they were actually attacking Northern soil!



Just like at Fort Pulaski in Savannah, there were several cannon balls still embedded in the brick walls of Fort Sumter.

Overall we really enjoyed Charleston and look forward to having a chance to go back sometime soon.

3 comments:

Kristi Sue Fulton said...

I'm so jealous!! I served part of my mission in Mt. Pleasant, right next to Charleston. My area actually included downtown Charleston, we just couldn't go there. Such a fun fun place. I never made it out to Fort Sumter, but I hear it is a fun place!!

Sarah said...

Oooh yes, I've heard Charleston is one really cool city! Those pics of the mansions are pretty.

April said...

What a fun trip!
The mansions are beautiful. They look like they came out of a movie!
Your little bumb is getting a little bit bigger. :)